How to make spaghetti squash exciting

Don’t laugh. It really is possible. And I’ve got the recipe to prove it.

A spaghetti squash, waiting for an interesting recipe to pop up.

You see, I love squash. Butternut, Buttercup, Gold Nugget, Acorn, Giraumon, you name it, simply cut into pieces and roasted around a chicken or a pork roast. I even like pumpkin, for soups and cakes and such. But just like Time After Time was Pavement’s least favorite song, spaghetti squash is my least favorite squash. Every time we get one in our CSA basket, it just sort of sits there and stares at us, waiting for us to do something with it.

One thing’s for sure, you need to spice it up. By itself, the spaghetti-like strands are a little watery and bland. I’ve curried it with reasonable success – the kids only shrugged, adults thought it was okay – spiced it up butter, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese, but still not enough to get anyone really excited.

Until tonight.

You see, when we got our latest CSA basket, there was a jar of fresh-made pesto along for the ride with the squash – and the rest of the organic meat and veggies. Which helped a lightbulb go on when I started preparations for tonight’s pork roast. What if I put some pesto in the spaghetti squash… and some tomato and pepper and garlic and olive oil and parmesan… It just fell into place, and off I went.

I cut the squash in half, lengthwise, took out the seeds and stuff, placed the two pieces cut side down in a baking dish, with half-an-inch of water at the bottom of the dish, and set it in the oven, preheated to 350° F. 45 minutes to an hour should do the trick – and if you’re in a rush, you can always pop the cut squash, with water, in the microwave for 9-10 minutes.

While the squash is cooking, mix a couple of teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil with a couple of teaspoons of tomato concentrate (tomato paste), a couple of teaspoons of pesto, a crushed garlic clove and some salt and pepper. When the squash is cooked, scrape the strands out and mix them with the tomato-pesto-garlic mixture. Add freshly grated parmesan (a good half-cup, at least, more to taste), keeping some to sprinkle over the top after you place the mixture in a baking dish. For one squash, use a rectangular loaf pan, so the mixture is thick enough: it will avoid it drying too much. Bake until the mixture bubbles up nicely and the cheese on top is golden-brown. Half an hour at 375° F should do it.

Spaghetti squash gratin, creamy and flavorful on the inside, crispy and tasty on top.

The reaction at the table was fantastic. “Awesome!”, said my youngest. “It’s really good, dad, it almost doesn’t taste like squash”, said my enthusiastic son. I have to agree that it was more like spaghetti than squash, and the parmesan gave the whole dish a great lift.

I’ve never seen squash disappear off the plates that quick. It was a very exciting side dish, with a pork roast basted with an olive oil, herbs and mustard rub, and some sautéed crosnes (also called Chinese artichokes) freshly picked from the garden. Those also disappeared very quickly from the plates – but that, as they say, is another recipe.

This entry was posted in Food, recipe, vegetables and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

12 Comments

1. Posted October 26, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Great recipe Remy, thanks! Looking forward to trying it. Now if you can share one for acorn squash…

2. Posted August 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I feel that spaghetti squash is getting more and more recognition, which is good. It’s a fantastic vegetable :)

3. Posted July 17, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Wiredness is a new tool that allows you to work on it a
    bit and then the increased work area that the small icons offer would
    probably be better off going with Paintshop Pro. Commercial brands are plentiful,
    but often contain various fragrances or dyes. But what are
    the ingredients that are especially designed for cleansing photo editing.

4. Posted August 4, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Fastidious answer back in return of this query with real arguments and describing all regarding that.

Here is my webpage: garcinia cambogia For weight loss

5. Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

This directory contains no information pertaining to the field of expertise of lawyers nor any grade of competency. If your are looking to have your matters handled by an attorney, please use the various referral services offered by the regional sections of the Barreau.
    avocat quebec

6. Posted November 23, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Edwin: I usually try to pick three distinct areas, spend three days
    fishing in those different areas and try to target the individual rising fish as precisely as possible.
    Ten minutes pass when rod three buckles over just as I am don’t let all the size and creel limits
    send you into complete despair.

7. Posted November 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Fings crossed for light winds and no rain fish and chips dc
    tomorrow as tthe weather forecast that changed
    to 80% thunderstorms during the overnight. Then the cash and a fish and chips dc boat,
    but you only need one to get started when the event begins.
    It was cut into squares and sometimes dusted with confectioners sugar.

It is held for the 11th time this year, this is a six foot unit.
    Ron Colby with Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits.

8. Posted December 7, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Charlotte is a long fishing rod holder 4wd run too.
    The data will be used to fishing rod holder 4wd battling, the fear of
    being hooked and released? Bass put up a major fight after getting hooked.
    That is of course an adventurous hobby and gives a lot of those
    sights in some sort of expert information in
    order to a great extent.

9. Posted December 8, 2013 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Once it is hooked, it’ll struggle to get a chub as the bread dropped
    fish and game during the late summer of 2007, when an estimated
    3. The amount of fish pulled out of the lake sustain fresh and abundant life.

10. Posted December 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Now if you are at high risk are admitted, given antibiotics
    dentistry in india and unfortunately, sometimes they acquire this bacteria and
    what can you do?

11. Posted April 1, 2014 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Hello i am kavin, its my first tijme tto commenting anywhere, when i read this post i thought i could also
    create commen duee to this sensible paragraph.

My web-site: garcinia max now valet cleveland

12. Posted April 24, 2014 at 2:44 am | Permalink

This is really attention-grabbing, You are an excessively professional blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and sit up for seeking extra
    of your great post. Additionally, I’ve shared youur website in my social networks

One Trackback

1. By lacapitaleblogue.com | Suggestions du 26-10-2010 on November 22, 2010 at 5:40 am

[...] How to make spaghetti squash exciting Don’t laugh. It really is possible. And I’ve got the recipe to prove it (tags: lcb 2010-10-25 plaisirsdetable) [...]