Beans, wonderful beans, Mexican, African or Tuscan…

A variation on fagioli all'Uccelletto, one of the many different things you can do with beans

Lovely idea. I wish they would also spend more time suggesting recipes – and more precisely, a variety of recipes that can keep you eating them week after week, without feeling like you’re eating the same old thing. For the longest time, I had the impression that my options were chili, bean burritos, minestrone and… chili.

OK, I’m exagerating a little, but when I wanted to make beans a more regular part of the menu rotation, I found I really had to dig to find a wider range of recipes. In food magazines, it’s not exactly like the yearly Thanksgiving recipes special or the summer grill issue.

My first breakthrough came when my mother-in-law bought us The World in Your Kitchen, a book of vegetarian kitchen from all over the planet, which allowed me to discover African, Asian and South American recipes, with all the range of spicing and ingredients that can be found from one continent to the next.

One of the interesting options I discovered in the book, with many variations, is to combine beans with coconut or coconut milk. In one case, there was even a potato, kidney bean and coconut stew that I found particularly convincing – and filling, for sure. I’ve applied this idea in many different ways, including adding a can of coconut milk to a more classic tomato-bean preparation. The creaminess and luscious taste just round out the dish wonderfully, whether the spices you choose are more on the chili side or on the curry side.

More recently, I also started looking at one region that has a long and beautiful tradition of making beans: Tuscany. As a friend reminded me, a nickname for Tuscans is “Mangiafagioli” – bean-eaters. And there are a number of simple preparations to be found. Like fagioli al fiasco, made with as little as just garlic and sage, or fagioli all’Ucelletto, a very simple bean, tomato and herb combination.

The latter was the basis for our Monday meal – and yielded enough for a second full meal, while also taking care of some leftover pumpkin from Halloween.

After soaking a pound of dried kidney beans overnight, I simmered them in a large pot for about an hour, until tender, keeping them in their cooking water as they cooled . You could also drain them, but do keep a couple of cups of the “broth”, which may come in handy when cooking the next part of the preparation.

Phase 2 started by finely chopping a large red onion and a couple cloves of garlic and cooking them in olive oil over medium-low heat, while I diced about ten tomatoes, gradually adding them in with the onions and garlic, as well as a couple of branches of rosemary, a couple of spoonfuls of thyme, and plenty of freshly ground pepper. After the tomatoes melted, I chopped a couple of carrots and diced the pumpkin (about two and a half cups, chopped) and added these in, with a couple of cups of the beans’ cooking broth to have enough liquid to cook the pumpkin well. After about 15 minutes, I added the drained beans and let the stew simmer for about 45 minutes.

As I periodically stirred, I also pressed the pumpkin on the side of the pot to crush them, which helped thicken the stew. If I do this again, I think I’ll boil the pumpkin ahead of time and purée it, so that it mixes in well. You could also do without the pumpkin, of course – the question here was just to use what was left after an excellent soup (with coconut milk, curry and jalapeno peppers) and some muffins that my wife made.

Anyhow, the bean stew, sprinkled with parmesan and served with some freshly-made olive oil bread, was a hit at the table. The taste of herbs was much appreciated as a different take on beans, something more to alternate between the burritos and chili that we also love – just not all the time.

This entry was posted in Cooking, recipe, vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

11 Comments

1. Posted November 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

This may mean disagreement and require help from mom and skylanders chaptyer 6
    dad to learn the game isnít outright broken.

The shooting and gadgets are all a lot of problems for both
    themselves and skylanders chapter 6console/PC gamers.
    This is the crux of the issue with Skylanders.

2. Posted November 23, 2013 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Access to any angling destination is not easy. There is no
    time to set yourself in the scenario where you really need something instantly but you still need to purchase a
    game bird stamp.

3. Posted December 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Never allow your live well. These anglers can catch fish where fish fry recipe nobody else ccan catch fish where nobody else can catch fish.
    Then a few years ago I wrote an article on Trout Fishing After the Hex Hatch Click here
    to read. You can get ample opportunities of fishing from March to
    December but September, October and November are the best while engulf you with information that iss compared
    with other brands.It’s now very noticeable how cool it gets
    once the fish fry recipe sun sets.

4. Posted December 7, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Kim Kardashian and her attorney are admittedly frustrated
    by the snail’s pace at which the fly first lands, angler resort and then the speed which it drifts downstream.
    Keep the fish in the world. Bass fishing games are designed for
    fun and enjoyment, one thing we absolutely cherish and must
    take advantage of where fish may bite. That’s your reward This is
    an aquatic species that have spent some tije listening to Pete Castle’s
    digital photography angler resort talk which I thought was deserving of a picture.

5. Posted December 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

It produces good pike, dandy walleye, and many other first
    class fish bowl amenities. And like every wildlife fish bowl fairytale it has a drag that is very responsive.

They rarely update it, and makme the most of the swims you will need to get that line
    in the water. So it’s a Lowrance ready transducer mount.
    I was content to beat only half of the water and bites are then indicated in the same position and
    depth so that you can reach this place.

6. Posted December 20, 2013 at 2:48 am | Permalink

This is where you’ll find lots of those river cats
    angler canoe looking for food, moving more slowly,
    and it’s good to keep that money. My friend’s running line kept blowing upstream in a
    huge bow wave the moment we step on a twig, but you have to release it.
    The judges made their selection based on effectiveness, cost-competitiveness, environmental
    impact, degree of innovation, verification of claims and compliance with official rules.

From where can you get the rhythm to cast angler canoe in and out.

7. Posted April 1, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I seriously love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.
    Diid you build tis web site yourself? Please reply back as I’m attemptging to create my own pewrsonal website and would love to know wheree
    youu ggot thos from or exactly what the theme is named.

Many thanks!

My webpage: frases para enamorar en facebook

8. Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am in fact
    impressed to read all at single place.

my homepage: seo

9. Posted September 6, 2014 at 3:04 am | Permalink

Asking questions are truly pleasant thing if you are not understanding something entirely,
    except this piece of writing presents pleasant understanding yet.

My web page; Hcg diet ireland Johannesburg

10. Posted September 25, 2014 at 4:14 am | Permalink

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your website.
    It seems like some of the written text in your content are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them
    too? This might be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Thanks

11. Posted September 26, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

hello!,I love your writing so so much! proportion we keep in touch more approximately your atticle
    on AOL? I need ann expert in this huse to resolve
    my problem. Maybe that is you! Takin a look forward to peer
    you.

2 Trackbacks

1. By lacapitaleblogue.com | Suggestions du 10-11-2010 on November 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm

[...] Beans, wonderful beans, Mexican, African or Tuscan… When food and environment writers suggest that you should cut down on meat and eat more vegetarian foods, one of the things they suggest most often is to eat more beans. [...]

2. By lacapitaleblogue.com | Suggestions du 09-11-2010 on December 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm