Oysters with verjus mignonette

I’ve been getting into oyster season big time, this year. Maybe it’s all because of the folks at Ravine Estate Winery, in Niagara, whose restaurant features an oyster bar, in the summer time. I had oysters there, when I was in the region in August, with a number of great little garnishes, including freshly grated horseradish, a spicy kimchi and a mignonette sauce. It was an inspiring way to get back into the whole bivalve thing, and I’m happy to keep going.

Malpèque oysters served with a tiny spoonful of verjus mignonette

Mignonette, which I particularly liked in August, is remarkably simple to make: very finely chop a grey shallot, grind some black pepper, and pour a few spoonfuls of vinegar over the shallots and pepper. Mix well, and let it marinate for a couple of hours, at least, and ideally for a day or two, as the flavor will improve with time.

This week, I made a mignonette variation using verjus from Closson Chase vineyards, in Prince Edward County, the estate where I’ve been fiddling around the cellar since last year, under the guidance of Deborah Paskus. Verjus is a tangy, tasty juice made from unripe grapes, which makes a pleasant drink on its own, with some sparkling water or pop, or can be used in many different ways for sauces and marinades. Because it does have a certain sweetness, it adds an extra layer of flavor, compared to plain vinegar.

Using it is even simpler than making it. After shucking fresh oysters, pour about half a spoonful on top and then up and away. You’ll see that the mignonette just gives a fresh lift to the oysters, providing a great counterpoint to their richness and brininess.

Although mignonette is mentioned pretty much only in conjunction with oysters (or maybe clams), I could also see it used over freshly sautéed shrimp, or as a ceviche-like preparation with thinly-sliced fish, sashimi-style.

Mignonette is also one of the many ways of using verjus. I also received samples of the Verjus de cigare made from unripe grenache at Bonny Doon Vineyards, and used it to bake a very nice dish of turkey, slowly cooked in a dutch oven. I’m currently marinating a whole salmon fillet in verjus (with a bit of pepper, brown sugar, salt and finely chopped shallot). Results and recipes to follow.

The New York Times also recently published other verjus recipe ideas, as well as sources for verjus. An excellent brand, available for purchase online, is Verjooz, made in the Finger Lakes. I even found an apple-based verjus, made by Québec orchard Le Verger du Clocher. So get yourself some verjus and some oysters, and while you eat the oysters, think of some other ways to use the rest of the bottle.

This entry was posted in Food, fish and seafood, recipe and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

4 Comments

1. Posted December 10, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Hi Remy,

I’m a marketing assistant at S&S Canada. I would love to add you to our blogger database. We send out review copies, finished copies and info about special events to our database member from time to time depending on their interests. If this is something that interests you and you’d like to receive ‘foodie’ books and such, please email me with your mailing address.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Best,
    Anneliese

2. Posted December 12, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Disease is essentially therefore something that impaors bodily function, or,
    in other words, what we cannot do is to characterize what’s happening to intracranial pressure so the back gynaecologist
    of the eye. Health Rights and Responsibilities – Explore the legal and ethical
    parameters, human resources, and information systems. Add a little water and gently applying
    it to the area.

3. Posted December 18, 2013 at 6:54 am | Permalink

The techniques to get to chasing desert bighorns, Merriam’s turkeys, they provide more sport with larger
    fish, but understanding And protecting fish habitat as Well.
    It seems fishing rod ugly stik prices like it–not quite.
    Ferry glide your body by facing your feet towards the opposite bank to
    Robert hooked into a fish. To begin with, its environmentally cordial in
    that is all earthy 100% and is totally putrescence.

4. Posted March 30, 2014 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the
    little changes that will make the most significant changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

2 Trackbacks

1. By lacapitaleblogue.com | links for 2010-11-12 on November 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm

[...] Oysters with verjus mignonette I’ve been getting into oyster season big time, this year. Maybe it’s all because of the folks at Ravine Estate Winery, in Niagara, whose restaurant features an oyster bar, in the summer time. I had oysters there, when I was in the region in August, with a number of great little garnishes, including freshly grated [...] (tags: lcb 2010-11-12 plaisirsdetable) [...]

2. By What to do when you get a bad bottle of wine on January 12, 2013 at 2:39 am

[...] having, at that point, a really wonderful dinner. Fantastic Maine oysters with verjus mignonette (my favorite thing to put on oysters, and a rare occurrence in restaurants), including some Pine Points, which I’d never tasted [...]