Omelet with chanterelles and fresh-shelled peas

Sometimes, creating a recipe is just a question of what is found in your fridge – or at the market.

Such was the case for me with the appearance at my neighborhood grocery store of an abundance of chanterelle mushrooms – simultaneously with a small bag of fresh shelling peas in my weekly CSA basket offerings. Peas and chanterelles?, I wondered. Instinctively, that seemed like a good idea, so off I went preparing a quick dinner – and tweeting it as I went along, using the #cookinglive hashtag. (The hashtag is open to everyone who wants to share what’s going on in their kitchen and make the twittersphere hungry.)

I finely chopped a small summer onion as well as a few pieces of dry-cured ham, and quartered the chanterelles, after rubbing off whatever little dried-leaf and other debris was left on them. Then, I cooked the onion in a little butter for a couple of minutes over medium high heat. I turned the heat down and added the chanterelles, tossed them and let them cook for about five minutes. Meanwhile, I shelled the peas and then added them to the mushrooms with the diced ham when the chanterelles had softened up nicely, tossed everything and cooked for another minute before adding a couple of spoonfuls of white wine and letting that reduce completely.

I then set the mushroom and pea mix aside and put a little butter back in the pan and then poured in three eggs scrambled with a bit of milk. When the bottom of the omelet had become firm but the top was still quite runny, I added the mix back into the omelet and, after a few seconds more, folded it in half. An extra minute of cooking over medium-low heat allowed the omelet to set, and then I simply served it with a couple of pieces of toasted baguette (on which I spread some nice soft cheese).

As per my friend Cynthia Sin-Yi Cheng’s suggestion, I paired the omelet with a pinot noir – a 2008 Hautes-Côtes de Beaune from Billard Père et fils, to be precise – and indeed, the acidity lifted the eggs well, while the earthier tones complemented the mushrooms well.

The peas, sweet and fresh, were indeed a nice counterpoint to the chanterelles. Happy things happen when ingredients meet by chance.

This entry was posted in Food. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 27, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

bread machine reviewswill be the most current product or service about your list of loaf of bread manufacturer critiques. When you are looking for a new loaf of bread equipment that will cooks a new scrumptious and also intensive various loaf of bread and then this may always be just what you may want. What we should enjoy concerning this loaf of bread manufacturer is it’s timer.

2. Posted August 31, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Avocat laval most of these legalities are usually kindly managed through lawyers getting specialization within family members rules. Predetermined fee technique will be the time frame associated with case’s cost worried about family members rules. It’s necessary to present a great enhance check associated with cost and service salary associated with family members lawyers is actually specifically proportional for their operate practical knowledge.

3. Posted January 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink jeremy scott adidas wings

4. Posted June 8, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Most tarot cards are produced up of the Significant Arcana and the Small
    Arcana. If your readings have not been accurate for some
    purpose, you might want to use a white candle. If not, perhaps you
    should start searching for it.

My web blog – Review of AskNow,,

5. Posted September 30, 2014 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts
    and I will be waiting for your next post thanks once again.

6. Posted October 2, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

But titanium engagement rings for women are comparatively
    very cheap and affordable, which can certainly save you considerable amount of money.
    Sona Diamond’s New technology hae enabled scientists to grow diamonds
    from a little ion crystawl in a lab environment.

Also, because it’s the most popular diamond shape there are lots of them outt there, so
    you have a lot of flexibility hen purchasing.

Feel free to suf to my web-site; SpenceDiamondsEdmonton

7. Posted February 11, 2015 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Really good post. Many thanks for your ideas on this subject matter.

8. Posted May 11, 2016 at 7:44 am | Permalink
  9. Posted May 12, 2016 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve
    certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the web site
    lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your
    hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing
    with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could look
    out for a lot more of your respective fascinating content.

Make sure you update this again soon.

10. Posted June 5, 2016 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Special Delivery can i buy macrobid online The dead in Saturday’s assault included children, and thewounded ranged in age from 2 to 78. More than 1,000 people wereevacuated by security forces combing the mall, littered withshattered glass and pools of blood.
    when is alli back on sale in uk Our Classified websites (Photos, Motors, Jobs and Property Today) use cookies to ensure you get the correct local newspaper branding and content when you visit them. These cookies store no personally identifiable information.

11. Posted June 5, 2016 at 11:58 am | Permalink

What sort of music do you like? glycomet 500 sr “The company insisted yesterday it had no alternative but to close the business after it failed to persuade its staff to accept a survival plan, saying that white-collar workers such as admin staff had backed the plan, but workers represented by Unite had rejected it” I note the word SURVIVAL. This reminds me of the days of Arthur Scargill and Red Robbo, a period which resulted in misery.
    buy prednisone online for dogs “It became obvious he did not have support from some in his own party and had too much baggage to get approved for a number of reasons,” said Richard Daskin, chief investment officer at RSD Advisors in New York.

12. Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I’d like to open a personal account how to use himcolin gel video Moet-Hennessy’s wine portfolio includes the vaunted Ch. Cheval Blanc and Ch. d’Yquem, the world’s most coveted dessert wine. Its champagnes include Dom Perignon, Moet & Chandon and Krug – and it is developing vineyards in Ningxia Hui autonomous region in north-central China with a view to producing China’s first ultra-premium sparkling wine.
    amoxil 400 mg 5 ml Type O Negative blood, for example, is the most sought-after because it can be transfused into any patient. It is frequently used in emergency situations before caregivers are able to determine the blood type of the recipient. Only about 7 percent of the population has O Negative blood, yet it makes up 13 percent of blood used by the Indiana Blood Center.

13. Posted June 5, 2016 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

What’s the current interest rate for personal loans? buy online cheap bimatoprost “The issues that underlie this conflict will not be solved any time soon. I think we’re looking at a decade of challenges in the region with Syria being the epicenter,” he told the Armed Forces Press Service during his ongoing trip to South Korea. “It’s very complex, it’s changing and most importantly we have to see it as a long-term issue.”
    i want to buy clomid online uk If this sounds too cruel for sport, it is exactly what Australia have done to England through the ages, especially in the recent era when they were world champions. Of Nasser Hussain’s team in the 2002-03 series in Australia, no fewer than seven players never played a Test for England again – the victims of Steve Waugh’s policy of inflicting mental and physical disintegration.

14. Posted June 23, 2016 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I saw your advert in the paper purchase nolvadex no prescription Deb comes by the station to see Dex. Quinn is very happy to see Deb – maybe too happy. Deb says something that could be construed as a loving goodbye in light of what happens shortly thereafter. Deb tells Dex they need to talk. Dex is overjoyed that Deb is willing to speak with him again. Deb suggests they go for a drive. She asks if her biological father/Dex’s adoptive father Harry (James Remar) committed suicide as a result of Dex acting on his homicidal impulses, i.e., “the code” as it was devised by Harry and Vogel. Dex says that he was told a few years back that Harry overdosed intentionally on his heart medication. Deb says she can understand – but that Harry only got it half-right. She then grabs the steering wheel and sends the car plunging off an embankment into a lake.
    imitrex nasal spray how supplied “Last time, there were a number of people who almost broke his old record, and someone finally did by mere minutes,” said Jim Bean, co-captain of Hall’s dive team. “He decided he wanted to try to get the record back and add, not just minutes, but hours.”

15. Posted July 16, 2016 at 12:48 am | Permalink

I’m a housewife nexium 60 mg The other problem, said Joseph, was a lack of discipline. Too often, he said, defensive tackles jumped into one another’s spots, trying to make a play. That left other gaps in the defense, or linebackers exposed. Against today’s misdirection rushing offenses, that was a recipe for disaster.

16. Posted August 13, 2016 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Resultantly the cartilage is starts to broken in pieces.
    Theoretically, after completion of digestion process of BCCA, the
    protein is split up into individual amino acids then theese
    amino acids can be used to build new protein molecules.

Almost all the ingredients inclluded for tthe preparation of herbal supplements have been used
    for centuries for treating vivid reproductive disorders.

17. Posted September 1, 2016 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

The secret to weight loss at any age is in fact a really very simple formula consume
    fewer calories than you burn.

Look at my page … calorie intake for weight loss female;

18. Posted September 3, 2016 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as
    long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog is in the exact
    same niche as yours and my users would genuinely benefit
    from some of the information you provide here.

Please let me know if this alright with you.

19. Posted September 14, 2016 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Your muscle fibers will grow to be activated iin a additional effective manner, the fiber will
    be twitching each qujick and gradually and, all in all, your muscular tissue will
    endure from fewer micro-tears.

my website female exercises for weight loss (

20. Posted September 18, 2016 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Apart from weight control, there are really serious health positive aspects to normal exercising including reduced incidence of heart attack, diabetes, and stroke.

Also visit my web-site best female diet pill for
    rapid weight loss (Jacelyn)

21. Posted September 23, 2016 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Eveen Models seek out Adrian’s guidance and Physicians use Adrian’s
    exclusive techniques to assistance their sufferers shed weight rapidly and
    his new YouTube Channel already has over 38 Million views!

Take a look at my web page :: best female exercises
    for weight loss (

22. Posted September 29, 2016 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I must express my thanks to this writer for bailing me out of this condition. Right after exploring throughout the search
    engines and finding proposals which are not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life
    was well over. Being alive minus the approaches to the issues you have sorted out as a result of this short article
    is a critical case, and the ones that could have adversely damaged my entire career if I hadn’t discovered your website.
    Your personal mastery and kindness in handling everything was
    invaluable. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come across such a step like this.
    I can also at this time look ahead to my future.
    Thanks so much for your impressive and effective help. I
    won’t be reluctant to refer your web site to any individual who
    would need recommendations about this matter.

my blog shop online

3 Trackbacks

1. [...] Omelet with chanterelles and fresh-shelled peas. Tags: The Food Case Akova blog | Bicycles Falardeau | Blogue de Midi Jazz | Blogue de Nicole Simard | Blogue du Festival d'été de Québec | Burp | Choux de Siam | CKRL | Culturils | Du cyberespace à la cité éducative | FEQ | Francis Desharnais | Francis Vachon photographe | Gilbert Lavoie | L'art quotidien | La marge | La Musicographe | La récréative | LCB | Le blog de Phlppgrrd alias Philippe Girard | Le Blogue de Limoilou | Le blogue de Michel Hébert | Le blogue de Nicolas Houle | Le blogue de Reynald Du Berger | Le carnet de Sophie Imbeault | Le mot du Cinephiliaque | Les Quatre Saisons | Libellule et ses spatules | Librairie Vaugeois | livingthelivelife | Lévis urbain | Mario tout de go | | podcast | Pour la suite… images et mots | Quebecspot Média | Québec t'aime | Québec Urbain | Sciences dessus dessous | Steve Deschênes | suggestions quotidiennes | Summer au pays des caribous | Synchro Blogue – Sandra Bellefoy | Voix de faits Blogue de combat | Vol de mots | [...]

2. By Telephone Systems Dallas on April 29, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Telephone Systems Dallas…

Omelet with chanterelles and fresh-shelled peas…

3. By on June 17, 2014 at 2:09 am…

Omelet with chanterelles and fresh-shelled peas…